What to do if you house or car was flooded

What to do if you house or car was flooded

Hurricane Idalia crashed onto Florida as a Category 3 storm, pushing massive storm surges in front of it as it went.

Cedar Key saw nearly seven feet of storm surge washing over the small island community Wednesday morning and areas along the west coast such as Tampa, St. Petersburg and Sarasota and Manatee counties were swamped with water. Videos from the areas showed flooded bridges, floating cars, wading residents and knee-high water rushing into doorways.

That makes this a good time to point out that most Floridians don’t have flood insurance. In April, 18% of Florida homeowners and 4% of U.S. homeowners had this coverage, which in the Sunshine State is only required if you have a mortgage and live in a FEMA-, or Federal Emergency Management Agency-designated flood zone. Starting last spring, state-run Citizens Property Insurance Corp. began phasing in a requirement that new policyholders have flood insurance.

But what do you do if your home or car was just flooded?

What do I do if my house or apartment was flooded?

Immediately document the damage with photos and video and file a claim with your insurance provider, according to Mark Friedlander, spokesperson for the Insurance Information Institute.

For homes, condos and rental units, the only product that will cover flood damage is flood insurance. This is usually a separate policy, either provided by the federal government through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) or by some private companies. It also can come as a specific rider on your property insurance policy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *